A hobbit-hole in my backyard? It may sound crazy, but I can tell you that my kids love it. It is the coolest playhouse ever. Plus, they can enjoy the grassy hill for sledding in winter and water sliding in summer. This was all my wife's idea. She dreamt it, and I got to be the one to bring it to reality. I'm not a construction expert; this was a total do-it-yourself job by a complete amateur. It has turned out rather nicely, I think. Here is the story of how it came to be.

Since this is in blog format, the posts are in order from newest to oldest. To read this in chronological order, start with How it all Began and use the "Newer Post" links. Or click on the links under Blog Archive, in order.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happiness is...

... reading The Hobbit to your 5 and 7 year old sons inside of their very-own hobbit-hole.

The other night, I slept out in the hobbit-hole with my two older boys. We stayed up late reading from the chapter, "Out of the Frying-Pan and into the Fire", when the eagles save Bilbo, Gandalf, and the Dwarves from the goblins and wolves (wargs). Although the hobbit-hole is far from finished, it was still a lot of fun to spend the night in there. Even without the back wall, and with the door only partially done, it is dry and comfortable. It is just wide enough for two adults or one adult and two small children, to lay there with their sleeping bags. It is long enough that we could fit six of us in there, three on one end and three on the other. The only trouble is that we get strong canyon winds, so without the wall and door finished, it was pretty loud. Although we were protected from the wind itself, the noise of the wind in the trees outside was bothersome. I look forward to finishing it, because it will be pretty quiet in there once it is done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is indeed quite a project. Your wife is very creative :). And you're quite brave undertaking a project like that. I can't wait to see its progress.

Lia said...

Joe, this is Phil, I love your hobbit hole! I think it's awesome that you're making great memories for your kids. Kowhai looked at it and said "let's build one dad!" Having been in the actual hobit hole in N.Z. that was used in the LOTR movies that was built in the side of a hill, your's looks just as good!

Hope things are well,

Phil

Lara said...

That is SO cool!!!

oliver said...

Dazzling post. I Have Been examining about this issue. So a commitment of thankfulness is all together to post. Totally cool post.
Decentralized Asset Management

Custom Search