A hobbit-hole in my backyard? It may sound crazy, but I can tell you that my kids love it. It is the coolest playhouse ever. Plus, they can enjoy the grassy hill for sledding in winter and water sliding in summer. This was all my wife's idea. She dreamt it, and I got to be the one to bring it to reality. I'm not a construction expert; this was a total do-it-yourself job by a complete amateur. It has turned out rather nicely, I think. Here is the story of how it came to be.

Since this is in blog format, the posts are in order from newest to oldest. To read this in chronological order, start with How it all Began and use the "Newer Post" links. Or click on the links under Blog Archive, in order.

Saturday, November 25, 2017


I did a major restoration job on the front end this fall, reinforcing the front wall, re-caulking seams, and giving it a fresh coat of exterior paint. I also redid the patio and stairs and improved drainage on the left side from underneath the wall down under the stairs and patio. The drought conditions have not been kind to the grass this year. I hope to green things up next year.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job! ☺

Glennward said...

Hello! I'm a long time fan of yours, your family, and your work. I've been following this project since it's conception and have always been deeply inspired by the way that you made this dream come to life. I've wanted to build my own for years and years now. I grew up following your blog and I just wanted to say, thank you. Thank you for giving a young boy a reason to chase his dreams and believe that they really can come true. I'm 24 now and still chasing my dreams, however, I have no doubt in my mind that if I keep working at them I will accomplish my goals.
Many thanks,
Glennward

Possibly Joe said...

For more such inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHFMzrCl3ddWdc3vm_qCbvt-AL9lnylR-

Thone said...

Hi. I had this same idea for a Hobbit House. I’d like to talk to you about it. Do you find the pipe “sweats?” Does it get kind of moldy inside?

I’m guessing you’re in Utah from the mountains. It looks very familiar to me. Where did you buy the pipe? I’m in St. George.

Custom Search