A hobbit-hole in my backyard? It may sound crazy, but I can tell you that my kids love it. It is the coolest playhouse ever. Plus, they can enjoy the grassy hill for sledding in winter and water sliding in summer. This was all my wife's idea. She dreamt it, and I got to be the one to bring it to reality. I'm not a construction expert; this was a total do-it-yourself job by a complete amateur. It has turned out rather nicely, I think. Here is the story of how it came to be.

Since this is in blog format, the posts are in order from newest to oldest. To read this in chronological order, start with How it all Began and use the "Newer Post" links. Or click on the links under Blog Archive, in order.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Dream On

My wife dreams big. She gets a picture in her head of what something could be and it quickly becomes very real to her. No sooner had the idea struck her to build a hobbit-hole in our backyard, it became one of her main ambitions. We were going to have a hobbit-hole in our backyard. We just were.

My wife is the dreamer. I am the doer. I get to be the one who turns the before picture into the after picture. Usually, I just can't see it (at least at first)--whatever the idea is. It's not that I think her ideas are bad, it's just that I can't see a realistic possibility that I will be able to achieve her vision. But through our marriage, she has proven time and again that if she can dream it, I can do it.

For a long time, I kept telling my wife that this is one dream that would have to remain a dream. I thought it would be totally awesome IF we could do it, but that was a really big "if." I ran countless scenarios through my mind on how this could come to be, and each time I thought, "There is no way." Whatever design I thought of seemed like it would be either structurally unsound or else ridiculously expensive.

I tried to put it out of my mind, but my wife was persistent. She didn't prod me or anything. She just continued to talk about it as if it were a matter of fact--to family, to friends, to the kids and me. "It is going to be so great when we get the hobbit-hole built," she would say. I wanted it to happen, too, but I lacked the vision.

No comments:

Custom Search