A hobbit-hole in my backyard? It may sound crazy, but I can tell you that my kids love it. It is the coolest playhouse ever. Plus, they can enjoy the grassy hill for sledding in winter and water sliding in summer. This was all my wife's idea. She dreamt it, and I got to be the one to bring it to reality. I'm not a construction expert; this was a total do-it-yourself job by a complete amateur. It has turned out rather nicely, I think. Here is the story of how it came to be.

Since this is in blog format, the posts are in order from newest to oldest. To read this in chronological order, start with How it all Began and use the "Newer Post" links. Or click on the links under Blog Archive, in order.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Got Dirt?

As my wife mentioned in her newsletter message, we were twice blessed: a pipe and dirt all in the same week. The same neighbor who let us drive a truck and crane over his property also had a ton (or rather, several tons) of unwanted dirt. We were able to have yet another neighbor friend (Do we have great neighbors, or what?) bring his loader and just dump it over onto our side of the fence.

Cool shot, eh?
Now, if that is not enough dirt, I'll eat my hat.
This hill was destined to become a favorite play structure in its own right.
It is finally starting to resemble a hobbit-hole (a little).
Now to pour foundations for the walls on either end, build a floor, frame in a round door on the front and a window on the back, roof the ends, waterproof it, figure out how to finish off the inside walls nicely (bare corrugated metal is not suitable for a hobbit), wire it, put in fixtures.... (Will it ever end?)





No comments:

Custom Search